DC Parent Power Meeting
If you’re an education advocate living in and around DC, you are invited to join DC Parent Power or to come to one of our meetings. DC Parent Power looks for common ground for civic engagement around public education in the District.
Thursday, September 29, 2011
Thurgood Marshall Center (directions below)
Thurgood Marshall Center (the historic YMCA building)
1816 12th St. NW
Conference Room 1/ first floor
2 short blocks south of the U/Street Cardozo yellow/green metro
(Street parking available, but scarce as it gets later)
This is the third gathering of a group of DCPS parents, educators, State Board of Education Representatives and education advocates coming together to improve public education by re-engaging DCPS, District government education agencies and elected officials with the major constituency who use the schools.
City families, teachers & all interested community members
are welcome and encouraged to participate
We initially came together inspired by the National Save Our Schools event on the Mall and Save Our Schools conference this summer. The initial gathering indicated strong sentiment for bringing together various pre-existing DC education advocate groups and voices throughout the city as well as:
· Authentic public engagement
· Transparency at all stages of policy development
· Less emphasis on standardized testing
· Richer/ well rounded curriculum
· Strong backing for public education, as opposed to increasing privatization
· Decreasing racial and economic school segregation
· Use of proven methods in all levels of school reform
· Equitable funding for all Wards
If interested in attending, RSVP Miriam Cutelis at Miriam.Cutelis@yahoo.com.
**Feel free to forward this invitation to other individuals or groups who might be interested.