DC Parent Power Organizing Meeting
Parents, teachers and education advocates are invited to an organizing meeting to look for common ground for civic engagement around public education in the District. The meeting will take place at:
Watha T. Daniel Library (Shaw Library)
1630 7th St. N.W.
Washington, DC 20001
Main meeting room
Wednesday, August 31st 2011
1 block from the Shaw/Howard Metro (Green Line)
Street parking is generally available
This is the second gathering of a group of DCPS parents and education advocates joining together to improve public education by re-engaging DCPS, District government education agencies and elected officials with the major constituency who use the schools.
City families, teachers & interested community members are welcome to participate.
We initially came together inspired by the National Save Our Schools event on the Mall and SOS Conference in July. The initial gathering indicated strong sentiment for:
· Authentic public engagement
· Transparency at all stages of policy development
· Less emphasis on standardized testing
· Richer curriculum
· Strong backing for public education, as opposed to increasing privatization
· Decreasing racial and economic school segregation
· Use of proven methods in all levels of school reform
· Equitable funding for all Wards
If interested, please contact Miriam Cutelis at Miriam.Cutelis@yahoo.com with an RSVP if you plan to attend or if you want more information.
**Feel free to forward this invitation to other individuals or groups who might be interested.