3/29/11

Reluctant adventures on a data phone

I am very late in the game of getting a modern phone, until last week I only owned a phone/text type phone. I have also been paying 55$/month plus tax with T-mobile for a measly 300 anytime minutes and 400 text messages. Complete robbery! My 2-year contract ended and I wanted to save money. I did tons of research looking for a smart but cheap alternative and found Virgin Mobile....and for $25/month I get 300 anytime minutes (which is more than enough for me), unlimited text and unlimited data time....WOW!! All I had to do was buy one of their phones. They are not top of the line, but for a novice like myself, I can't complain. The phone has been fantastic.

I somewhat understand now when I see people everywhere glued to their phones....but fear having this device take over my life. I do not want to have another thing in my life that takes over my time and energy. As a person who strives to live true to Buddhist philosophies I think it's important to be able to attend and focus on the task at hand without getting constantly pulled away by a vibration or a beep telling you there's a new 'tweet' or a new e-mail in your box; as if the world would end if that text was not replied to immediately. For now, I have turned off all non-necessary reminder sounds except the good 'ol ringing and so far my life has been somewhat the same....

On the positive end, it's been sweet. this past weekend, I misplaced the GPS for the car and was able to use the phone to get my family back home. I had a meeting across town cancel last minute and was able to get the notice before departing on a long, useless trek.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment at http://mommyactivist.blogspot.com/. I may respond to your comment individually or respond to various comments through one post. Please do not use this comment area for spam or to try to sell products unrelated to my blog.

Have to know how to fight

Do you know how to fight? If you care about your relationships dare to practice fighting.  It does not really matter what you fight over.......