DC GOVERNMENT IS PLANNING ON CLOSING MORE SCHOOLS!
· Did you know that the Deputy Mayor for Education (De’Shawn Wright) has hired a Chicago based firm to do a study on how DC neighborhoods are served by the public school system (Traditional Public and Charter)
· The information found by this study will be used to make a case to close schools in the District and/or to turn them over to National Charter School Managers
· This study will be looking at school’s test scores to determine if a school is “performing” or not. They will not take into consideration other ways that a school is excelling for its students, parents and community
· The numbers below reflect the number of “under performing DCPS schools” by Ward
o Ward 1 = 8 schools, Ward 2 = 3 schools, Ward 3 = 0 schools, Ward 4 = 11 schools, Ward 5 = 11 schools, Ward 6 = 11 schools,
Ward 7 = 20 schools, Ward 8 = 20 schools
If you live anywhere else than Ward 3 you should be concerned about the possible impact to your school and community!
Join us on Thursday November 3rd for an Empowerment Circle to:
· Inform yourself on what is going on with this study and school closures
· Learn and plan action steps you can take at your school
· Connect with other concerned parents and community members from around the city working against school closures
When – Thursday November 3, 2011
Where – Benning Road/Dorothy Height Library
3935 Benning Road, NE – Walking distance from Minnesota Ave. Metro (Orange line)
Time – 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Please RSVP to Daniel del Pielago – 202-234-9119 xt. 104 or Daniel@Empowerdc.org
Please note if you will need child care
Empower DC – 1419 V Street, NW – 202-234-9119 – Empowerdc.org
Feel free to distribute the attached flyer to your school and community!