DC Parent Power Open Meeting Invite
You are invited to an open meeting for “DC Parent Power” to look for common ground for civic engagement around public education in the District.
THIS Monday, November 7th, 2011
Juanita E. Thornton/Shepherd Park Neighborhood Library,
Room: SPK Room A,
Time: 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
This is an open gathering of a group of DCPS parents and education advocates joining together to improve public education by re-engaging DCPS, District government education agencies and elected officials with the major constituency who use the schools.
City families, teachers & interested community members are welcome to participate.
We initially came together inspired by the National Save Our Schools event on the Mall and conference in July. The initial gathering indicated strong sentiment for:
· Authentic public engagement
· Transparency at all stages of policy development
· Less emphasis on standardized testing
· Richer curriculum
· Strong backing for public education, as opposed to increasing privatization
· Decreasing racial and economic school segregation
· Use of proven methods in all levels of school reform
· Equitable funding for all Wards
If interested in coming, please contact Miriam Cutelis at Miriam.Cutelis@yahoo.com with an RSVP if you plan to attend or if you want more information.
**Feel free to forward this invitation to other individuals or groups who might be interested.