5/10/09

Teens....are they from another planet?

See full size imageSee full size imageSee full size imageSee full size imageSee full size image





So my niece comes over with my brother (her dad) and I just love her to death. She is just a very sweet and caring young woman. I can only wish I was as independent when I was 18. But I cannot feel to think I am in another world when we communicate. last night, as we were all in the living room talking, every 10 seconds she is getting a text from someone, then she was IM-ing online on her laptop (which she had on her lap) as we were talking.  So literally, she was having a conversation with 3 people at the same time. Now that is very talented.  My head would twirl and fall if I had to keep up with two people, much less three. 

But, I can't help but to appreciate my Buddhist teachings when faced with this situation. I too used to be riddled with technology.  I had a handheld calendar, wait for e-mails that would never come, have my phone at arms reach at all times...etc....until it took over my life.  I literally was living a fake life.....doing nothing real.  don't get me wrong, I am online a lot still.  I could be working on my site, applying to jobs, blogging....yet, when I am NOT online...I am 110% there with you.....listening with my eyes, my body and my ears. I find it important especially when I am with the kids that I am not distracted by nothing else. I read somewhere that when you give your kids 110% attention they learn that they are fun to be with.  That people desire to be around them. If I were texting the whole time, they see how a non-priority they are....makes total sense to me. 

I don't think young kids today know about presence or how to even be in the moment for 2 minutes without wishing they were elsewhere or being tweaked in some way by outside stimulus. I find that a sad loss. When happiness is found in having a new blackberry or in wearing an expensive label you are just setting yourself up for a very unhappy life. Even being a complete millionaire would not fill the gap this type of thinking brings.

Life IS what happens while we are busy making plans......




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment at http://mommyactivist.blogspot.com/. I may respond to your comment individually or respond to various comments through one post. Please do not use this comment area for spam or to try to sell products unrelated to my blog.

Have to know how to fight

Do you know how to fight? If you care about your relationships dare to practice fighting.  It does not really matter what you fight over.......